Friday, December 17, 2010

Oh, I was not born yesterday


Oh, I was not born yesterday
By: Ahmad Shamlou
Translation: Mohammad Rajabpur

Oh, I was not born yesterday,
Oh, no!
I’ve lived the age of the world.

My fresh memory is the memory of the centuries.
Many a time they shed our blood.
Oh, heed
The only outcome of murder
Was the stale piece of bread on our graceless tablecloth.

The Arabs deluded me,
I opened them the gates of the tower of the ants
With my own wrinkled hands.

They made us sit on the black gallows
And they cut off our head.

We said prayers and we were massacred
Because we were labeled atheists.
We said prayers and we were massacred
Because we were labeled pagans.
Then they decided
We and our brothers had to slay each other
As this was the closest path to heaven.

Oh, heed!
The only outcome of murder
Was the rags to hide our genitals.

Your brother’s credulousness called the Turks here,
They beheaded you and me.
My recklessness called the Mongols here,
They beheaded you and everybody.
They put yokes on our necks.
They tied us to a plough
And sat on our back.
They ploughed such a limitless cemetery
That even today
The mourners’ eyes are full of tears of blood.

Oh, heed
The sad escape
From one exile to another
Looking for faith as our mere virtue.

Oh, heed!
Our history was restlessness
With no belief
And with no home.

Oh, no!
I was not born yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment